Vita TV acts as a Remote Play hub for PlayStation 4

Sony recently announced the new Vita TV gaming device that connects to a TV via HDMI for Vita and PS one gaming at 480p, 720p, or 1080i resolution. It comes with 1GB built in memory for storage, a physical Vita game card slot, and supports up to two DualShock 3 controllers for 2-player PS one gaming.

Since the Vita TV is essential a Vita without the portability, it will also support the Remote Play features of PS4. What this means is that the PS4 can be played on the Vita TV even if the PS4 in a different room of the house. Much like using the Vita as an alternate screen to play PS4 games while another family member uses the TV, Vita TV and the DualShock 4 can do this on your second TV.

Vita-TV-1

The most obvious comparison I can make with the Vita TV is with the OUYA Android gaming console. The Vita TV not only plays physical and digital Vita games, digital PS one games, and Remote Play PS4 content/games, but it also will have full access to the various apps available to Vita. This includes Netflix, YouTube, LiveTweet and whatever else is on the PlayStation Store for Vita.

One big question that remains unanswered is how exactly will we be able to play any Vita games that require touch input either through the front touch screen or the rear touch pad of the Vita? Additionally, how will we be able to play PS4 games that might make use of the touch input on a DualShock 4 and would work just fine on the Vita’s front touch?

These questions and more will have to wait until the device comes out in Japan on November 14th for ¥9,480 (US$100). There will also be an 8GB bundle including a white DualShock 3 controller for ¥14,280. No word when Vita TV will arrive in Europe or North America at this time.

• http://www.us.playstation.com/ HyperTallih

Really nice.

• Sorahearts

nice, even better

• The Unknown Legacy

So now I can play Vita games on my TV without buying the Vita? But instead buy the Vita TV ?

• KosmoCrisis

Yup! And play 2-player digitally downloaded PSone games. If you have PS Plus, you may have a bunch to play out of the box.

• The Unknown Legacy

Wow that’s amazing! Thanks for the response!

• Ducked

Not really, there portable games for a reason.

• The Unknown Legacy

Is that a response towards my question? Or my 2nd comment? If it’s towards my second comment, in my opinion i love this idea. I love the 3DS over the PS Vita and the main reason was because of the different experience it gives. PS Vita felt too much like a PS3 while as the 3DS felt like a whole new console. So now I can play Vita game by just paying 100$ and I can play the games I’m missing out.

• Ducked

It was to your 2nd comment.

I guess it is a decent way to save money. Although besides Tearaway, there’s not any exclusives to care about that isn’t on PS3 or PS4.

• The Unknown Legacy

That depends. The PS Vita isn’t region locked so I’m assuming PS Vita TV won’t be. So that means people will be able to port from japan their exclusives. Of course there wont be any English though. But there are still a good amount of games I don’t want to miss on the Vita such as Soul Sacrifice, Valhalla knights 3, Ys: Memories of Celceta and many more.

• Ducked

Good point, I don’t mind playing some games in Japanese

• Captinn2

This I will buy. I only got to play the Playstation 2. Not really a big fan of PS4, but PS VITA??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!? A must buy for me.
    Wii U
    Vita TV
    Nintendo 3DS
    Nintendo 2DS(for my little bro :P)

• KosmoCrisis

Interesting opinion. I love my Vita because it’s portable. To me, that’s its #1 selling point. Add to that all the bells and whistles that only the Vita has. Take all that away and you’re left with the Vita TV. Definitely for a couch gamer only, and someone curious about Vita but that doesn’t want to spend much to try it.

• Deezy

*GASP* Vita TV sounds and looks sooo cool. Plus a WHITE ps3 controller for PS1 games which reminds me of the old PS1 controller but slightly evolved. Basically that’s what it is anyway, an evolving process; Bringing back old titles in new consoles. If Nintendo could do that why not SONY?

• http://twitch.tv/dve2k DVE

So does this mean I can still use my PS3 controller to play PS4 games with the cross play architecture? Like play BF4 on PS4 with Vita TV etc….

• Deezy

Hmm, Good question. Now I dont own a PS3 but what I do know is that you got to pair the DS3 to make it work on the PS3 but hey you probably might. However at the same time you probably can’t because with the PS4, there are titles that will require the use of the touchpad. So the DS3 might work on the PS4 if you get Gaikai and play the Pre-ps4 titles but you might need the DS4 for PS4 titles

• jeffp3456

So can I use this to display my Vita game on the TV screen while playing from the Vita itself (like AirPlay)?

• KosmoCrisis

No. If anything, there might be some kind of Ad-hoc multiplayer support, if the Vita TV acts as a true Vita would. This would allow you to play a multiplayer Vita game in your home without the need for two Vita’s, just one and the Vita TV instead.
      Remote Play only works with PS3 and PS4.

• jeffp3456

So if you already own a Vita, this buys you nothing?

• Nolan ArchLord

It buys you a really expensive HDMI cable to hook your VITA up to the TV.

Sony does know they’re selling a 1080i capable PS Vita and PS one for half the price of just a Vita right?

• KosmoCrisis

Yeah, but without the cameras and touch inputs. This makes the Vita TV a ton less expensive to manufacture.

Makes sense.

• Ducked

Wish I could play Birth by Sleep and Crisis Core on my TV, but they won’t come out on PSN!

• Mark

I have a Vita, but I don’t enjoy it because there are no games I like. This idea does sound pretty interesting though, but sadly, it’s not for me. I have my 3DS, WiiU, soon to be PS4 owner, and a PC; Vita, I’m sorry you have to be ignored.

• Superstick98

What PC do you have? I need to get me a gaming PC and need recommendations. :S

• Mark

As of now, it ain’t that big a beast, but I’m upgrading this Christmas or the beginning of next year. I have a custom built computer (built by myself), with an AMD FX 6100 in a cheap motherboard (don’t know the model), a superclocked GTX 660, 1TB HDD, 120gb SSD, Ultra LSP 750, a generic DVD drive, and it’s all in a thermaltake V2 case; it was a budget build. My upgrades are probably going to replace the motherboard and but another GTX 660 in there to SLI. How would like your computer to function; do you want to play ultra settings, or want the best FPS (frames per second), etc?

• Morris ヅ

this thing is very cool big sony up for that

• Guhtere

I don’t see any point in doing this in my opinion. It’s not like people are going to get this but not a Vita, because this won’t fix the problems of why the Vita isn’t doing so good. The Vita isn’t doing so good because it doesn’t have as much games as the 3DS. I’d rather just buy a Vita.

• Tails the Foxhound

This seems so fucking pointless to me. If I wanted a console game, wouldn’t I just play a PS3?

• Nolan ArchLord

Sold. Although I think a DualShock 4 bundle would’ve made more sense given it’s touch pad, I’d much rather play Toukiden on the big screen.

• mylasthope

I bought the Vita to play games on a screen other than my TV. No reason to get this unless you have more than one TV and are too lazy to move your PS4. I’d rather just pony up the extra money and get a PS Vita during BF. Netflix is nice, but who doesn’t have at least a roku at this point?

• YogiGRB

I love Escape plan ….. wondering how it’ll play on this especially since you need both the front AND rear screen for that one.
    Sounds exciting though