PlayStation 4 is quieter than PS3, more power efficient

PlayStation 4 ItoSony revealed some interesting technical details about the PlayStation 4 at TGS 2013. Sony’s vice president and Director of Business Unit Masayasu Ito (pictured right) said that the PlayStation 4 would be quieter and more power efficient than the PS3.

He said that PlayStation 4 will not only be “much quieter”, but that the main cooling fan has a “stepless control”, meaning that it will gradually speed up and down depending on cooling needs. Unlike the PS3 fan, which just kicked into a higher gear when the console got hotter.

It’s also confirmed that the PlayStation 4 will be more power efficient than its predecessor, but didn’t go into any specific Watt usage.

Finally, he said that the Blu-ray drive found in the PlayStation 4 will actually be a bit louder than the PS3s. That’s because the PlayStation 4 Blu-ray drive is 6X speed, while the PS3 was 2X. This will be countered by using the hard drive as well, to load game data so that the Blu-ray drive doesn’t have to be active all the time.

• NintendoNoob

As astonishing as this sounds it doesn’t surprise me, Sony’s been doing a lot of things right with Ps4 and fixing all their mistakes (Or most) with PS3, Kudos Sony for finally thinking about your fanbase :D

• Imran;)

Title seems to be a bit misleading. Being more efficient and using less are totally different things. Just saying :/

• http://its-yuma-tsukumo.tumblr.com/ Yuma Tsukumo

I’m never really that bothered about noise since i have my headset on anyways. I can see this being a good thing for some people though.

• Veries Seals

I will be one to admit that I have been ruffling the PS4′s feathers and even though initially I am rolling with my Wii U/XBox one combo, I do plan to join the PS4 family as well. I am beginning to think more and more about the console. I think it is growing on me a bit. I am getting a little more excited about it. It will be 2014 before I can get one though, maybe by then more software that I would like will be released for it.

• Vadym

So what exactly makes you want to buy an XBone over the PS4 right now?

• Veries Seals

Oh I loved my XBox 360. It just did everything right. Great games, great exclusives, great online play. Nobody can beat Microsoft with online play, they basically invented the environment with having the worlds most popular and most used operating systems. Also they are the best at creating gaming tools and environments for game developers. They have been doing it for a long time. You will be in great hands with gaming on XBOX One. Also the reason why I choose Nintendo is they are the most creative and they create timeless games. I absolutely love my Wii U. It has a ton of create games. We had a little game drought from about Jan-March but that has long been fixed. Most of the Wii U games get 7′s and above from IGN which is actually good. We have a few turd games but most of the games are good to great. I will Pick up a PS4. Just after they have a few more games that are interesting. For now the initial line up is not really singing to me yet. They have a couple. For now XBOX One has a far better line up of games than the PS4. That is just my opinion.

• Vadym

It’s funny how I have two down votes just for asking you a simple question lol

• Veries Seals

Yeah, i dont really understand that? I felt it was a great question.

• Vadym

That’s a good an honest opinion and I respect that. I, on the other hand, prefer the PS4 lineup, just because I would love to play a fun game such as Knack, or an awesome Killzone at launch, and even race a cool new title Drive Club over Forza for example. I have nothing against Forza, and I also love Gran Turismo, but from the get go, I’d rather get something new and innovative, and Drive Club does just that. So I dont really feel the whole Dead Rising thing, I am kinda honestly tired of all the zombie killing. To me, that is last gen stuff. And I dont really feel the whole gladiator thing either. Looks cool, but also very repetitive.

• Veries Seals

I can feel you on that. The PS4 is starting to grow on me. I would like to play kill zone, infamous and deep down. I knowwww they will release god of war which i love. I was really impressed with Last of Us and Beyond 2 Souls. I hope they will do something with those 2 IP’s on the PS4 as well.

• Vadym

In terms of Wii U, I totally agree. I love their games right now. Finally they have a good line up and it will be even better in a few months, and especially come 2014, with Mario Kart and Smash Bros. I cant wait for those. Right now I have Windwaker HD and Wonderful 101 and thinking about getting Rayman and also Wii Party U next month. Nintendo is great with their awesome fun games that never seize to amaze me.

• The True Gamer

I’m buying a Xbox one over ps4 because Xbox live has been faster and more reliable for me than ps network.

• Kim Sanderhoff

As cool as it may sound I’m would have rather they’ve used a REAL CPU instead of a tablet cpu and gave it a more powerful fan. I know, I know… people hate to hear this, but I’m all about specs and the PS4 specs would have been amazing 3 years ago. Now they’re below the average PC. Think about that for a second. That has never happened before with the playstation always outbeating PCs or at least competing with them at launch. The tech demo for unreal engine 4 runs better on a 2 year old pc than it does on the PS4. And the same thing unfortunately goes for BF4 as well =(

• Vadym

Once again, another power user. Well, guess what, PS4 doesn’t need MORE power than it already has. For this generation of games and software in general, PS4 has plenty of power, especially for what we will be using it for. And you are totally wrong about the specs being “below an average PC”. Find me a PC right now, that costs $400 and has better specs than a PS4. Or better yet, how about you play BF4 on PS4 and then on any $400 computer, and see which one runs better and at what specs and framerates. Just saying.

• Sorahearts

PS4 is more powerful and a better console to play on. and I’ll be playing BF4 on PS4 including Killzone: Shadow Fall

• Vadym

haha, be careful when you say “PS4 is more powerful”

people get really offended and start trolling or down-voting for stuff like that lol

• Sorahearts

I guess that’s how I got a downvote rather than a troll sending me a comment

• Kim Sanderhoff

The average pc isn’t $400. I would say more like $1000. You could argue that Sony can’t compete with something being 2,5 more expensive, but they have done that successfully in the past, due to economy of scale with mass production (and the fact that they took a loss).

When the PS1 came out, the only thing that came close was if you had a 3dfx card and those were not cheap. When the PS2 came out you needed at least a Gforce 2, again a computer of such power was way more expensive than the PS2. Same story with the PS3. But now with the PS4 I can buy a fairly cheap computer that is more powerful both in CPU and GPU power.

I would have rather paid $599 for a faster console.

• Vadym

Once again, you aren’t getting the fact that we just DO NOT need a faster and more powerful console. What we are getting now is plenty of power to run the software that is being developed for it.

And yes, average PC is about $600-$1000 and that is the problem. They are very experience, but not nearly as powerful when it comes to gaming. You will not be able to play the same game on both PC and PS4 at the same specs.

• Kim Sanderhoff

Who are you to decide that we don’t need a more powerful console? Until the day when we have life-like graphics and life-like AI we will still need more power to fuel the increasing amount of polygons on screen. The PS4 still isn’t capable of rendering CG like graphics from cutscenes of games like FF13.

And why is it a problem that a pc costs $600-$1000? You do realize that pcs are getting cheaper and cheaper. The first PC I got cost over $2000 and it wasn’t anything special. Back then pcs were expected to cost this much. I don’t think paying $800 for a pc is a lot when an iphone costs just as much (without contract).

I like debating about this kind of stuff and I’m happy to keep the thread going.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aMVlNPjpbI The Devourer of Dimensions

At times my PS3 Slim still sounds like a Jumbo jet, it’s annoying as hell. So a much quieter PS4 is definitely a +.

• Vadym

I have no clue how you people refer to the sounds of your systems as “an air conditioner” or a “jumbo jet” or any other exaggeration. I’ve had every single PS3 version since 2007 and I played some games for 8-10 hours straight, and never had a scenario when it sounded “super loud” by any means… but that’s just me I guess

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aMVlNPjpbI The Devourer of Dimensions

It might be just because I rarely bother to clean it out (at the fear of breaking it).

• Vadym

Well, sir, you probably should care a little more about your systems :) at least by cleaning them and dusting them off once a month would do lol

• Joel

Thank goodness for that, back when my fat PS3 was on it’s last legs, it was like an air conditioner was in there.

• Vadym

Ok common, it wasn’t THAT bad… lol

• Merrfn

My PS2 was. The disc driver got slightly mislodged, and it was like a quiet blender… Keyword BLENDER!

• Vadym

I cant remember back to my PS2 era.. that was way too long ago lol… but, as I said, I dont remember any of my consoles sounding like a blender, air conditioner, or a jet engine.. although.. I have a very quiet air conditioner, so if that is the one they are talking about, then sure, I can accept that lol

• Vadym

Maybe it’s because all my game systems I ever had, I kept in mint condition for the entirety of their use. I just love technology way too much to misuse it or screw around with it. So all my systems and games never malfunctioned and I never faced any problems like I’ve seen/heard from others.

• James Robert Marot

Excellent news! Couldn’t be better for this generation of consoles. I’m certainly not changing my mind for PS4

Man. This really makes the Xbox One’s massive size seem unwarranted now more so than before.

• companyoflosers

id be interested to know how airflow and system cooling works in such a compact device especially with the power source being inside the box. xb1 was designed with cooling in mind so im assuming thats why its a bit bigger. the xb1 isnt actually AS big as it appears but it is bigger than the ps4.

• Vadym

It’s pretty damn BIG… You should see the comparison to the original PS3 if you didn’t already… When you see it, you go “Daaa-yum” lol but it’s not even that, bizzy was right about it being unnecessary, they OD’d this time

• companyoflosers

the reason any consoles this generation looks so small is because they only show them from the front. wen you see the actual console yourself you see where all the bulk went… the butt. seriously though, the consoles this generation just got longer instead of wider to hide the size. wii u does the same thing. the xb1 is actually only a little bigger than the width of two disks lined up next to each other. ps4 is a little smaller. the xb1 just looks HUGE because its design in addition to actually being slightly bigger.

• Vadym

Yes, yes, but it doesn’t explain the fact that it looks like the 1990′s VCR, with slight chrome, and touch controls.

• companyoflosers

what can I say? sony had the idea to make theirs look cool, microsoft didnt. they both function like they are supposed to though and once its in the cabinet with all your other boxes, either console will fit in. besides, its the screen players should be focusing their attention on. not doing so would be like me and my friends playing some gorgeous game. my friend would be like “oh man did you see what happened?!” he is of course talking about in game to which my response would be “oh man arent those slants on the console so sexy?” with me off to the side drooling on the box and not paying attention to the game. you see how ridiculous that sounds? the overall look of the box should not subtract from the value of the experience of anyone who has their priorities in the right place. functionality over aesthetics my friend, and as far as functionality goes, from what we can tell so far, both consoles will deliver the experience they were intended to.

If PS4 can achieve the level coolness, Sony is promising with an internal power brick, parallelogram design, and very small size, MS has some explaining to do.

• Vadym

Totally. I don’t know who in the hell agreed with the design when it was first implemented. Everyone had to be high on something…

• jfelts

I have mine behind a big glass enclosure so I cannot hear it but I definitely still welcome quiet and especially more power efficient. What is the bluray speed of the Xbone?

Xbone has everything set at ONE. So my guess would be 1X Bluray as well lol

• TomDobo

It’s set at 6X just like the PS4.

• MrLouboy999

I’ll love the fact that over its life the PS4 will cost me less to run than my PS3!!! I’ve got to agree with Yuma though, I’ve never been able to hear my consoles running since I’ve had surround sound dating back to 2000. Still though, I love low energy bills!!!

• Vadym

Yes, and yes! Thank you SONY, this is yet another reason why you are awesome :) Giving us a beautiful, powerful, quiet, and power efficient system with amazing games. Can’t wait!

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aMVlNPjpbI The Devourer of Dimensions

I’m still probably going to wait a year before jumping to PS4 after it launches, after a price drop and a larger hard drive release.

• Vadym

Yeah, I was thinking about that, but then again, I would probably just upgrade later anyways because they always have some kind of promotions. I would rather enjoy PS4 from launch, and then upgrade in a year or so when they have something better

• Fweds

You are thanking a money making multi corporation because you can buy an electrical device off them ??. Words fail me.

• Vadym

I am just glad I get to play something new and awesome from the company that I love and support. I dont care if they are making money off of us. That is every company does. I work, I get money, I give it to SONY so they can make awesome products to entertain me. Makes me happy, and that is all I care about.

• http://www.us.playstation.com/ HyperTallih