New sources indicate PlayStation 4 has 6 GB RAM reserved for games

PlayStation 4 RAM rumor

This PlayStation 4 RAM issue is getting out of hand. First Eurogamer reported that the PS4 OS uses 3.5 GB of RAM, which seemed like a lot to everyone. Sony didn’t actually deny this report, and that’s what created such an outrage among gamers — heck, some even went and canceled their pre-orders. Now that’s overreacting.

According to a new report from developers, there are PlayStation 4 games out there being developed that use 6 GB of RAM, meaning the OS is using 2 GB. The report comes from NeoGAF — which is not exactly the most trusted source in gaming.

But it does make more sense than the previous report of 3.5 GB for the OS only. To put in perspective just how much this is, the PS3 OS only used about 50 MB. Microsoft has confirmed that the Xbox One OS uses 3 GB.

We don’t know what the truth is here. We wouldn’t be surprised if Sony was going with 2 GB or 3.5 GB — who knows what they’re planning for the future of the PlayStation 4. We’ll have to wait until Sony and PlayStation 4 architect Mark Cerny sort this out. And they should release a statement soon, because all these rumors are only hurting Sony and the PlayStation 4.

• The Unknown Legacy

And people were saying they weren’t rumors… Oh well in due time… in due time

• TomDobo

Too much is going on here. Sony needs to come out and tell the truth

• Hussain Naseem

no they don’t… This has clearly been orchestrated by microsoft fans or microsoft themselves to hype up the xbox by downplaying the potential of ps4 knowing full well that Sony will not respond to rumors. This is the kind of dirty tricks that MS will resort to … Sony should stick to their guns and just wow us more at Gamescon

• TomDobo

Sony hasn’t came out and said much about the hardware we need to wait and see what else they announce

• Hussain Naseem

honestly i don’t think Sony need to showcase the details of the hardware (such as how big the swap disk is on the hdd, how many CPU cycles it takes for a button press etc etc ) to the general public. the box should retain some of it’s mystery. and it’s not like knowing how much RAM is in it is going to benefit us. we just have to accept whatever hardware Sony decides to go with for the PS4, as the end result of the PS4 that benefits us are the games.

• sd

Realistically the amount of Ram used by the PS4 or Xbox one is somewhat irrelevant. Should either company find themselves in a position where they need more ram they just need to do a decent OS redesign and free up some of the Ram allocated to this. So technically whatever RAM is available at launch need not be the amount available in a few years.

• John

This rummer dose make more sense now.

• HustyparmenCZ

Let’s bet :) I say it will end up 6GB for games / 2 GB for OS.

( just look at the first Killzone Shadow Fall gameplay, and the E3 second gameplay – looks a lot better i terms of textures ) and since the first KZ demo used 4,5 GB, I say this second demo used those 6GB.

• Ducked

Screw July
    Screw August
    Screw September
    Screw October
    Okay your know the truth in November.

• Mark

Rumors suck. I want the truth (even though I have to wait like 4-5 months, I still want the truth)!

• sd

I am hoping more actual facts are released by MS in late August when they present their console again. Hopefully this will also lead Sony to do the same regarding their console. A firm release date for both would be good as well.

• Mark

So true

6 gigs would be a lot less worse than 4.5.

Especially if it can be uped to 7 gigs.

That would mean Sony never really lied.

• Hussain Naseem

pls show me a post where sony said their OS for ps4 uses 1 GB of RAM. all i’ve seen so far has been speculation after speculation and ppl riling each other up.

• sd

According to the updated report from digital foundry it has 4.5gb resevred for games with 512mb flexible memory. That would leave up to 5gb available for games and 3gb fixed on the OS. The xbox and PS4 get closer all the time.

Nope. Sony hasn’t confirmed that number.

The difference in hardware is more significant than you want to believe.

• sd

Lol, of course because everyone has respect for your unibiased opinion. The problem is you are so narrow minded and biased that no one respects a word that you say. So even if you were ever right people wouldnt believe you or even want to listen.
          Neither company have actually confirmed a lot of rumours circulating about the consoles but you just ignore this and choose to proclaim whatever rumour you want as fact and whatever rumour you dont like as unconfirmed.

I haven’t claimed this rumor as fact. I just stated it’d be more favorable if proven true.

And I love how Xbots can sh*t talk PS4 and come here posting negative crap, but when I make posts based on facts, they’re biased trolls because there’s always something negative surrounding Xbox One which I can’t control.

• Arthur Hughes

“But when i make posts based on facts”

And winner for most comedic line on a forum post goes tooooo
            bizzy bie

Again, another ineffective reply that counters absolutely nothing.

• Arthur Hughes

Again, another ineffective reply that counters absolutely nothing.

??

• sd

You deem all your posts “fact”. I havnt seen a fact from you. The PS4 will be great, I have no doubt about it and I cant wait to add one to my x-1 and Wii U collection. The problem I have isn’t with the system…

I don’t deem anything as fact. I SPECIFICALLY state that everything I post has some form of factual basing.

• sd

blah blah blah

I guess that means we’re done here.

• sd

blah blah blah

• immyjimmy

dude, even if the ps4 and xbone had the same amount of available ram. On a APU (which the ps4 and xb1 use) the faster the ram the much higher fps the console achieves. DDR5 vs DDR3.

• sd

I am only arguing with Bizzy Gie because he is annoying. My stance is pretty clear. Basically I will wait and see once the consoles are tested after release. Too many unknowns, like the esram and final specs etc. The PS4 might outperform, I dont have an issue with that at all but I do want real world tests. By this time next I will own both a PS4 and X-1. The better they are the happier I will be. But yeah my comments are only really aimed at Bizzy Gie, I am fed up of him being a troll and I am hoping he will stop.

• immyjimmy

i was hoping for a OS that only uses 1GB of ram :(

• Mark Thom

OS 2G Games 6GB still better than 4.5GB :D

• The Clockwork Being

Next thing we know the PS4 will be using 512 MB for the OS and the rest for games

• Neilandio

Didn’t the first PS4s have 4 GB of ram? If you take the 2 gb that were being used for the OS, that means that the games we have seen so far have been developed using 2 gb of ram, right?

• Ace J

you know what your right. i remember Sony telling developers that the ps4 only has 4 gigs of ram in the beginning.

• immyjimmy

they did that to keep the final specs a secret. Idk why.

• Ace J

i know that, so shouldn’t that debunk the “3.45 gb for the OS” rumor?

• Nothing5555

wow people actually canceled their pre-orders just because the system is now expect to dedicate more ram to the OS? is the use of 3.5GB of ram going to impact the gameplay? Sh*t games using 90% of the systems ram is still going to be a sh*t game

• Hussain Naseem

sux to be them :) now some lucky bastard will be getting a ps4 at launch instead

• Willy McBurgle

lol at the morons that cancelled their pre-orders as there is NO DOUBT that they tried to get them back several days later and were told they were up sh** creek LOL.

• UNDFTD

I heard something about a possible extra GB of memory for devs